Salads are great…until we get bored of doing the same salad, over and over again.
Here is a wonderful Fall salad that was a hit at the end of our Holiday Day Away workshop during our
food demo (while sipping festive champagne and pampering too…).
I’ve also included a few of my shortcuts that make putting together this salad even easier, especially during a busy week. This salad is also a great salad for entertaining!
- Greens of choice (I use Trader Joe’s “Lemony Greens Blend)
- Roasted and cut chicken (or other protein of choice to boost protein, but it’s fantastic without the meat, too, especially if you’re doing as a side dish)
- Roasted butternut squash (I purchase the pre-cut package and roast it over the weekend with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and garlic powder – any leftover I use for side dishes, etc.)
- Other roasted veggies (I “cheat” and always have a bag handy of Trader Joe’s pre-roasted zucchini, peppers & eggplant..takes a few minutes to microwave – a delicious, simple add to any dish!)
- Black Rice (also called Purple rice or Forbidden rice, this rice is one I add to my ‘rotating sides’ and pre-boil for the week during my weekend prep. It’s very good for you and has a wonderful chewy texture, you can always use brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, farro, etc.)
- Roasted mushrooms (again…something I throw on a pan at the same time with other veg on weekends)
- Hazelnuts (use any nut of your choice…but frankly, I get sick of almonds and walnuts! I love pistachios as well – and a little goes a long way for crunch!)
- Pomegranate seeds (you can purchase these already seeded, but you’ll pay a LOT more. The trick to seeding a pomegranate is – in the sink, cut it in half and take a mallet or heavy utensil and “beat” the back of the pomegranate to push the seeds in to a bowl; you’re left with very little of the white pith).
- Goat cheese (yummmm…and if you don’t like goat cheese, you can do feta, parmesan or your choice!)
- “The Best Dressing” recipe below (I make this in a mason jar and keep it in the fridge to get me through a week or two)
The Best Dressing Recipe
4 tablespoons EVOO (cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil)
|2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter – if you don’t have this, you can omit – it helps with the creaminess)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove, pressed or minced (I “cheat” and use garlic powder)
1 oz grated ginger (or ginger powder)
Squeeze of ½ a lemon
Salt, pepper & red pepper flake to taste
Pulse all ingredients in a small food processor or mix by shaking in a mason/glass jar. Toss with salad and let sit for 10-15 minutes to blend with greens. Make dressing in bulk and have it for the week!
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Good food should always TASTE good!
P.S. Here are 11 more of my weekend food prep tips for you!